Thursday, December 18, 2008

No I am not in AA. I just use it for the prayer.

"God grant me the serenity

To accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And the wisdom to know the difference."



So, normally I don't like to talk about faith or God, however, I would like to tell you a little bit about what "The Serenity Prayer" means to me. First, I am not an addict. But, when my sissy and I saw Rachel Getting Married, (which you must see because it kicks ass), during one of her meeting scenes they are saying this prayer and I was totally moved my its words and how it can be applied to my life as a mom or wife. I've heard it before, but never really listened to what it means.

I know that I complain about my husband and son and how they drive me crazy, but I really do love them and I guess I can be a bit rigid and I know that I just need to let it go.

What I am suggesting, I guess, is for all of us, control freaks out there, to make a deal that this new year, 2009, be a year of serenity to:

"...accept the things I (we)cannot change,

The courage to change the things I (we) can,

And the wisdom to know the difference."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot about that part in the movie. I can't get over how impressed I was with that movie. I'm with you on "I'm not big on talking about spiritual stuff." It is a great prayer and I think everyone, spiritual or not, should at least read it and understand the message.

The Arnolds said...

Amen to that! I often repeat The Serenity Prayer to myself in fits of rage :)