Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When we grow up, do we owe our parents anything?

I know that lately I have been having issues with my parents, actually just my mom, and the more I over analyze it the worse I seem to get. But, I really am starting to feel like she feels that I owe her something. Not money,not time, not even respect, I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like its something. And quite frankly, it bugs the shit out of me. I was talking it over with a friend of mine and she feels the same way about her mom. An example would be, how she wants to come over all of the time, at her convenience. When she asks and I say no,she gets mad,but when I feel bad for saying no all the time and say yes she says little things to my two year old, like "poor thing needs to be around more people besides mommy". Hello, I can hear you... I feel like she thinks that I owe her open access to my adult life, as if I were still living under her roof. Does this make sense? I am trying so hard to remember all of these little things that drive me nuts as an adult,so I don't follow the same path and it really scares me that I will ultimately end up just like her. To make me feel better, does anyone know what I am talking about? When we move out, start our own lives, pay our own bills, and turn in our old key, do we need to clear out our tabs before we spread our wings?

No comments: