Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"Keeping up with the Joneses" makes you look stupid!

It has come to my attention that I haven't blogged anything about the poor little souls that must "keep up with the Joneses". So here I am, on a Wednesday afternoon, blogging to remind you that people on television, in the media, or even in your cul-de-sac are not who you are destined to be. We are all put on this earth for a reason and if we continue to think that we are supposed to have everything that everyone else has, we will ultimately disappoint ourselves. I am so tired of meeting new people and all they want to talk about is what material things they want or what their "friends"and neighbors have. Recently, my sister-in-law told me that her niece introduced her friend to her as, "this is my friend *Ashley, from Twin Lakes (her parents neighborhood)". Her niece probably didn't even know Ashley's last name, but she knew what subdivision she lived in. How in the hell did she know this? More than likely it is how her parents define these so called "friends". What are we teaching our kids? Are we teaching them that status is everything and character is nothing? Aren't we a little too old to be comparing our self-worth to other's material possessions? I love the show "Keeping up with the Kardasians", but I know that I am not a Kardasian, so I don't have to keep up with them. There is a movie called "Keeping up with the Steins", once again I know I am not a Stein, so I don't have to keep up with them, either. My point is, and I do have one, we are not put on this earth to be like everyone else, we are put on this earth with our own purposes,so instead of trying to "Keep up with the Joneses" all of the time, how about we embrace ourselves as we are and teach our children that its okay to be themselves, too. We must lead by example. If all that our kids hear us talking about is what so and so has or where they live, how will they ever be able to define who they truly are. I don't know about you , but I would love for my son to be introduced as "this is my friend *Charlie, he is the nicest guy I know, and I think you will think so, too".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-)

Hi, I'm Terri, who gets psyched when she can buy $2.50 cupcake downtown.